Last year, 340 household clothes dryer fires were reported in Ontario.
Almost one third of these incidents were due to a lack of maintenance.
Provincial statistics indicate that, on average, 300 clothes dryer
fires are reported annually. Although there have been no fatalities
within the past ten years, up to 15 injuries and a few million dollars
in property damage result each year.
The lack of maintenance/care and improper installation (i.e. incorrect venting) are the leading causes of fires in clothes dryers. Fires also occur when flammable materials are inadvertently put into these appliances. If a fire occurs, it will often start within the drum of the dryer and be fueled by lint that has accumulated in the dryer cabinet. In the event that plastic ducting is used to vent the dryer instead of metal ducting, the fire will not be contained within the dryer if the plastic ducting ignites or melts.
Major fire hazards associated with clothes dryers include:
© Copyright Environment People 2002-2013